A few months back I wrote a small talk cheat sheet, it really helped a lot of people. I thought let's build upon that, and write some guidelines for comfortable conversation around new people. There already are a few articles on the subject, this is mostly a summary and an extension on that.
But since most of you guys only skim or don’t want to read a few 1000 words ;), voila a cheat sheet, hope it helps!
If you need it, the print/pdf versions is here.
Anxiety and discomfort
- Situational/social anxiety has several common causes
- Not knowing how to act
- A gap of expectations
- Fear of looking like a fool
- Fear of failure
- Following points are to avoid, mitigate or overcome these causes
- There are more personal reasons for anxiety
- (those are beyond the scope here.)
Important Mindsets to take to heart
- Everybody likes me until proven otherwise
- I am a likable and interesting person
- I can develop in a better me by taking action
- I’m the actor not the victim in my life
- I’m truly interested in other people